Customer retention is an outcome of a number of engagements that are a combination of the following and more as we all evolve over time:
- Sales process or aligning product functionality to use cases and clearly calling out what cannot be done.
- Onboarding and setting the right expectations of what each role does. eg: sales and customer success.
- Success Engagements have a number of sub-activities from understanding why the customer bought your product to how you help them meet and exceed their goals/objectives in investing in your product.
- Point 3 is achieved by setting up a Success Plan with quick wins, medium to long term wins eventually leading to achieving the corporate vision.
- Relationships keep and grow business. Business and Executive level relationships.
- Building allies within a customer organization.
- Partnership or Account Strategy <> this is a combined effort by both sales and success teams on how you will nurture this customer over time.
- Staying away from being Sales, sales, sales, sales!!!! Which is killing the real purpose of customer engagements.
Hope this helps :)